Hi Pumpkins !!! 2 weeks before Christmas, it’s definitely time to release a small Santa Hat free crochet pattern ! I hope you will enjoy the pattern and tutorial, don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
Crochet pattern PDF file ( ad free )
For more convenience and to support my blog you can choose to purchase the printable PDF file of the Santa Hat crochet pattern ( ad free and more detailed pictures ) on my Etsy shop, by clicking here
You can also purchase at a reduced price the patterns bundle of my 2 Santa hats ( small one and large one ) : here
So, if you choose that option, huge, huge THANK YOU for your support, I can keep making my crochet patterns thanks to you 🙂
But, you can also decide to follow the Santa Hat crochet pattern directly on my blog, so let’s get started !
- The small hat measures approximately 8 inches ( width ) and 11.5 inches ( height ).
To make it a little bit smaller, you can reduce the hook size. Instead of 8 mm, use a 7.5 mm hook *
To make it a little bit bigger, you can increase the hook size. Instead of 8 mm, use a 8.5 mm hook *.
- The use of different supplies from that indicated may vary the final rendering. You don’t have to use the same brand of yarn but the weight category has to be the same for a similar result.
*Note that this change of hook will slightly change the dimensions of the hat compared to the one made with a 8 mm hook.
Notes before starting
- Read the small Santa Hat crochet pattern completely before you start and don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or feedbacks, I will be happy to answer them ( contact me : here )
- Large hat video with pompom tutorial : here
- For a result similar to the small original hat, it is important to read the crochet pattern at each step so as not to skip instructions given for a specific row. The model requires careful counting of rows and stitches.
- Also, don’t hesitate to contact me here if you notice any mistake in the tutorial, thank you
- The numbers placed in parentheses correspond to the number of stitches to have when finishing the row. This allows you to know if it was done correctly. If you have more than the number indicated, it means that you have added stitches. Conversely, if you lack it, you have forgotten it.
- The letters (a,b,c…) at the end of sentences correspond to the pictures.
- When it is indicated “classic finish “, it means: Cut the thread and pass it through the loop to make a knot.
- When it is indicated ‘’ invisible finish‘’, it means : Cut the thread, pass it through the loop to make a knot and then, create a ‘’ fake stitch ‘’ to make it invisible. ( please refer to this video : here )
Difficulty, stitches and techniques used
Level of difficulty : Easy
Stitches and techniques : single crochet, chain stitch, slip stitch, decrease, back loop.
For more details about the different crochet stitches and techniques, watch my YouTube videos : here
If you are a crochet beginner with chenille yarn and want to make Santa Hat, I suggest you to watch my video ‘’ start crocheting chenille yarn ‘’ : here.
List of supplies
The use of different supplies from that indicated may vary the final rendering. You don’t have to use the same brand of yarn but the weight category has to be the same for a similar result.
Santa Hat crochet pattern contain affiliate links. It means that I receive a small commission if you purchase the product that is linked ( no additional cost to you ).
- Hook, 8mm (L11) from this crochet kit : here
- Yarns ( click on the color to be linked to Amazon. No link means that I bought at a yarn store ). Also, as long as the weight category is respected, you can pick the yarn ball of the brand you prefer ( the result will be similar in term of proportions ).
|Color||Number of balls||Brand and Name||Weight & yardage / 1 ball||Weight category|
|Plain Red||1**||ESTAKO ( Amazon )||3.5 oz / 132 yds||5|
|Red Silver Sparkles||1*||YARN BEE Velvety Smooth Sparkle from ( Hobby Lobby )||3.5 oz / 161 yds||4|
|White||1**||BERNAT Blanket Extra ( Joann )|
I chose a yarn that is elastic enough to fit the majority of people
|10.5 oz / 97 yds||7|
|White for the pompom||1**||PREMIER Just Yarn Worsted ( Dollar Tree ) or I LOVE THIS YARN acrylic ( Hobby Lobby )||1.76 oz / 109 yds or 7 oz / 355 yds||4|
** You will need less than one ball.
- Darning needle
- Round counter : here
- Stitch markers.
- For the pompom : 2 cardboard rounds of 2.4 inches diameter ( 6 cm ) + a ruler and a compass. You can also use pompom makers if you already have it at home. If not, it’s ok I will show you how to make them with cardboard.
( More information about supplies on my blog post ‘’ Crochet supplies list for beginner ‘’ )
White acrylic yarn
You can use pompom makers but in this tutorial, I will show you how to make pompoms with cardboard.
- In the cardboard, cut 2 circles of 2.4 inches diameter (10 cm)
- Then, cut another circle of 0.8 inches diameter (2 cm) in the middle of both of them to create a ‘’donut’’ (a).
- Wrap the thread around both circles until the middle is no longer visible (b).
- Then, insert the scissors into the slice of the donut. And, cut all the threads by holding the middle so as not to drop them (c).
- Insert another thread between the two cardboard circles and tie a knot. This will block the other pompom threads (d). Keep it long enough to later attach the pompom to the hat.
- Remove the cardboard circles by cutting them.
- Cut all the excess threads until you obtain the desired size and the texture of the pompom is homogeneous (e).
Ch : chain stitch
Sc: single crochet
Sl: slip stitch
BLO : back loop only
Dec : decrease
Santa Hat, Free Crochet Pattern
© This document is the property of crochetpinkpumpkin. This santa hat crochet pattern is for personal use only.
No profit can be generated from this pattern
- WHITE chenille yarn
R0 : 36 ch
Attach ch 36 to ch 1 with a sl.
From R1 to R2 : 1 sc in each stitch (36) ( 2 rounds )
- Insert the RED chenille yarn in one all the 36 white stitches.
R3 : BLO, 1 sl in all 36 stitches (36)
From R4 to R5 : 1 sc in each stitch (36) ( 2 rounds )
R6 : (4 sc, 1 dec) x6 (30)
From R7 to R9 : 1 sc in each stitch (30) ( 3 rounds )
R10 : (3 sc, 1 dec) x6 (24)
From R11 to R13 : 1 sc in each stitch (24) ( 3 rounds )
R14 : (2 sc, 1 dec) x6 (18)
From R15 to R17 : 1 sc in each stitch (18) ( 3 rounds )
R18 : (1 sc, 1 dec) x6 (12)
From R19 to R21 : 1 sc in each stitch (12) ( 3 rounds )
R22 : 1 dec, 10 sc (11)
R23 : 1 dec, 9 sc (10)
R24 : 1 dec, 8 sc (9)
R25 : 1 dec, 7 sc (8)
R26 : 1 dec, 6 sc (7)
R27 : 1 dec, 5 sc (6)
R28 : 1 dec, 4 sc (5)
Leave 6 in. of thread then cut it. Pass the thread through the loop to tie a knot. With the thread and a darning needle, pass through the previous 5 stitches to close the circle.
Attach the pompom by inserting the white remaining threads in the top of the hat and make a knot.
Your Hat is now ready !
I hope that you enjoyed this Santa Hat free crochet pattern !
Share your creation with me on Instagram or Facebook
by tagging @crochetpinkpumpkin
or by using #pinkpumpkinpattern
Also, don’t hesitate to contact me here or firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any mistake in Santa Hat crochet pattern, thank you :). You are also more than welcome to ask me any questions or give feedbacks as well.
&… Happy Holidays !
Find all my free patterns here 🌸