Supplies for the Crochet Tote Bag
The use of different supplies from that indicated may vary the final rendering.
This list of supplies contains affiliate links.
- Main yarns : Thanks to the pattern structure, you can choose any type of yarn. The ones indicated are suggestions. But to avoid stretching, it’s important to always double the main yarn with acrylic yarn. If you want the same look (chunky stitches) as the one in the pictures, the weight category has to be the same as indicated.
*For each bag I crocheted together the main skein (for example : Bernat Sheepy) with acrylic yarn (Premier Basix Chunky) to avoid stretching, make the bag more rigid and more weight resistant.
|Bag||Links||Number of skeins and approx. total of yds used||Brand, name & color||Weight & yardage of 1 skein||Weight|
|Alternatives yarn available in Europe (hobbii.com)|
|Bag 1*||Here||3 (447yds)||Bernat, Sheepy, Cotton Tail||8.8 oz / 149 yds||6 Super Bulky||Peacock in Ecru : here|
(approx. 7 skeins of 71 yds)
|Bag 1*||Here||4 (468yds)||Premier, Basix Chunky, Cream||3.5 oz / 117 yds||5 Bulky||Amigo Chunky in Ecru : here|
(approx. 4 skeins of 109 yds)
|Bag 2*||Here||5 (435yds)||Premier, Parfait XL, Light Pink||7 oz / 87 yds||7 Jumbo||Honey Bunny Big in Hint of Pink : here|
(approx. 4 skeins of 131 yds)
|Bag 2*||Here||1.5 (538yds)||Premier, Basix Worsted, Light Mauve||7 oz / 359 yds||4 Medium||Malaga in Cherry Blossom : here|
(approx. 3 skeins of 180 yds)
|Bag 3* (main part & pocket)||Here||2 (298 yds)||Bernat, Sheepy, Bunny Brown||8.8 oz / 149 yds||6 Super Bulky||Peacock/ Light Grey : here (approx. 4 skeins of 71 yds)|
|Bag 3* (main part & pocket)||Here||2.5 (292,5 yds)||Premier, Basix Chunky, Light Grey||3.5 oz / 117 yds||5 Bulky||Amigo Chunky/ Light Gray : here (approx. 2.5 skeins of 109 yds)|
|Bag 3* (bottom/gussets & handles)||Here||1.5 (223.5 yds)||Bernat, Sheepy, Cotton Tail||8.8 oz / 149 yds||6 Super Bulky||Peacock/ Ecru : here (approx. 3 skeins of 71 yds)|
|Bag 3* (bottom/gussets & handles)||Here||2 (234 yds)||Premier, Basix Chunky, Cream||3.5 oz / 117 yds||5 Bulky||Amigo Chunky/ Ecru : here (approx. 2 skeins of 109 yds)|
- To sew the pieces together : cream thin cotton yarn for bag 1 & 3 : here and pink thin cotton yarn for bag 2 : here. You can also decide to sew with the acrylic yarn you crocheted the bag with. I personally prefer cotton because it’s thinner and more resistant when the bag will carry some weight.
- Darning needle, you can use regular darning needles but I like using curved ones from this kit : here , it’s easier to sew elements together).
- A little bit of stuffing to create the slightly domed effect of the handles.
- Measuring tape
- Optional : a tote bag organiser, just because it’s convenient and it helps keeping a nice shape 🙂 here
PDF Crochet Pattern for Tote Bag